banner

IS THERE LIFE AFTER ALCOHOLISM?

I believe there is! This is our story...

Friday 19 February 2010

Update:

Paul had a terrible night last night! Seems to have developed a twitch in his legs and this is driving him potty - can't sleep for it. That, and the itching all over as well.

We don't know what causes the twitches but according to his GP all of these strange ailments are just more symptoms of his underlying problem - fatty liver disease, also known as Terminal Liver Failure.


Back to our story


Moving in together so soon after meeting was a big culture shock for both of us as we began to realise that we didn't know each other as well as we thought we did. I can't really speak for Paul, but from my point of view there were a lot of things that I had to get used to.

The first thing that struck me was something that I hadn't been expecting at all, and that was a purely physical thing - I was amazed at how thin Paul was! He is well over 6 foot tall and weighed less than 10 stones. Apparently, at one time he was over 18 stones, but that was about 15 years ago when he was a lot younger and earning £100K plus every year.

Looking back now it was stupid of me not to catch onto the fact that for two years he had been living on the breadline, sometimes even sleeping rough, and he hadn't eaten properly in all that time. Not only that, even though at the time he was in denial, as an alcoholic, whenever he had any money, rather than eat, he would buy drink. After having drunk himself into a stupor, he would be too full to eat in any case, so he didn't bother!

I often used to wonder why a lot of the heavy drinkers I met in pubs never seemed to eat anything. Now I know that you can get just as full on beer as food and if you are addicted to alcohol, THAT always comes first!

That's all for now....next time I'll discuss Paul's day to day habits and how he would sometimes drive me to despair!


Thanks and adios!

Chrissie

No comments:

Post a Comment